Jackie's World

Welcome to my brain...ENJOY!

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Memorial Day

A lot of people take Memorial Day for granted. To most people it's just a day off of work. I'd like to take a moment to share my grampa's story with everyone. He was a true hero and I loved him very much. He was 2nd Lt. Donald J. Hyerdall. A bombardier in the 96th Bomb Group, 337th Bomb Squadron who was shot down (for the first time) September 19, 1944 over Frankfurt, Germany.

He passed away on the 4th of July, which is very fitting. It was his favorite holiday. He threw the greatest 4th of July parties at his house every year. The holiday meant a lot to him---to all of us. He had a heart of gold and was the funniest man I ever knew. He was the glue that kept our family together.

Please do me a favor and read his story. It is amazing.

http://www.merkki.com/hyerdalldon.htm

So while you are enjoying your day off of work on Monday, please remember the people who made it possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home